The Directorate of Family Morale, Welfare and Recreation’s Child, Youth and School Services offers Fort Polk youth plenty of activities.
For CYSS registration information call 531-1955. For program information call 531-6004. Here’s a look at what’s planned:
• Youth sports and fitness summer camps: Registration is ongoing. Youth can participate in camps for basketball, cheerleading, baseball, bowling, football conditioning, golf, soccer, volleyball and tennis. Youth must be registered with CYSS and have a valid sports physical. A list of camps is listed on the Internet at www.fortpolkmwr.com/youth_sports.
• British soccer camp: Fort Polk youth can participate in British soccer camp July 9-13. The camp is for boys and girls ages 3-18. Youth will be divided into age groups during the camp. The camp costs $73 for ages 3-4, $85 for ages 5-6 and $109 for ages 7-18. The cost includes a ball and T-shirt. For details or to register visit www.challengersports.com.
• Outdoor adventure camp: There are two opportunities for youth to participate in an outdoor adventure camp this summer. Camps are held June 25-29 and July 16-20.
The camp is for youth ages 8-16 and costs $45 per week. Activities include: Rifle/skeet shooting, paintball, archery, canoeing, rock climbing, kayaking, swimming and fishing. The cost includes all equipment, safety gear, entry fees and snacks for each activity. No refunds will be given.
Drop off and pick up will be at Perez Field. The bus departs at 11 a.m. Monday through Thursday and returns at 2:30 p.m. On Fridays, the bus departs at 9 a.m. and returns at 4 p.m. A sack lunch is recommended.
Youth must wear appropriate clothing and closed-toe shoes. Registration is ongoing.
• Fall soccer: Registration for youth fall soccer runs through Aug. 15. The cost is $40 for ages 5-18 and $20 for ages 3-4. There are no refunds. A skills assessment and parent meeting is held Aug. 7 or 9 (parent’s choice) at Perez Field at 6 p.m. for ages 5-18. For ages 3 and 4, no assessment is given, but a parent meeting is required at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 7 or 9. Youth must be registered with CYSS and have a valid sports physical for Sept. 8-Oct. 27.
• Tackle football and cheerleading: Registration is open through Aug. 15. Football and cheerleading are open to youth ages 8-14. Cost is $75 for football and $40 for cheerleading. Refunds will not be given. There is a skills assessment and parent meeting at 6 p.m. Aug. 14 or 16 (parent’s choice) at Perez Field. Youth must be registered with CYSS and have a valid sports physical for September through December.