Fort Polk’s Intramural Sports Office hosts a variety of sporting events in honor of Earth Day April 18. Events are free and open to authorized Family Morale, Welfare and Recreation users. Activities include:
• 5K run at 6:30 a.m. Register between 6-6:30 a.m. at 1st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade Gym.
• One-pitch softball tournament, 5:30 p.m. at Soldier’s Athletic Complex. Registration is ongoing through Monday. Teams consist of 14 players; first- and second-place teams will be awarded trophies. Interested teams must submit a roster and two points of contact with telephone numbers and e-mail addresses by Monday to the SAC.
• Three-on-three basketball tournament, 5:30 p.m. at the 1st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade Gym. Registration is ongoing through Monday. Teams consist of one coach and five players. Rosters must be turned in by Monday to the 1st MEB Gym.
The Directorate of Family Morale, Welfare and Recreation hosts a paintball tournament April 16 at 9 a.m. at range 23A paintball field. Registration is ongoing. Space is limited to 12 three-person teams. Registration fee is $25 per team. The fee does not include the cost of paint, but it includes a handbook on the rules of the game. Paint must be purchased from the shooting complex. Youth under 18 years of age must have parent/guardian permission. Trophies are awarded to the top three teams. For more information call 531-7552.
Ten Miler qualifier
The Intramural Sports Office hosts an Army Ten Miler qualifier Wednesday. The race begins at 6:45 a.m. (or first safelight) at the running trail adjacent to Bayne-Jones Army Community Hospital. Registration is held before the race from 6-6:20 a.m.
Participants must wear reflective belts. Awards will not be given for the qualifier, but the results will be reported to the garrison command sergeant major. For more information call 531-2056.
Warrior Hills events
Fort Polk’s Warrior Hills Golf Course will host the followingtournaments:
• The commanding general’s monthly golf scramble is today at 12:30 p.m.
• The Leesville Rotary Club sponsors a tournament Saturday; tee time is 8:30 a.m.
• On April 15, the Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Office holds a tournament that tees off at 8 a.m.
Call 531-4661 for more information.