Join Protestant Women of the Chapel Tuesday from 9-11:45 a.m. at Fort Polk’s Main Post Chapel for a special program, “Christmas Traditions.” Free child care is provided and drop-off begins at 8:45 a.m. PWOC will not meet from Thursday through Jan. 10. The Wednesday evening study resumes Jan. 11 and Tuesday morning meetings resume Jan. 17. For more information call (337) 353-2185.
Child, Youth and School Services offers the following youth sports activities:
• Soccer: Registration runs through Jan. 7. A parents meeting and skills assessment will be held Jan 10 or 12 at Perez Youth Field at 6 p.m. Practice starts mid-January and the season is Feb. 4 through March 24. Cost for 3-years olds is $20 and ages 4-17 is $40.
• Winter swim team: Registration runs through Dec. 31. This team is for youth ages 5-18 and costs $65.
• Shooting adventures: Registration runs through Dec. 20 for ages 8-16 and costs $15. Events include .22/skeet (Dec. 21), paintball (Dec. 22) and archery/rockwall climb (Dec. 23). Cost includes range fees, transportation, equipment and a snack. The bus leaves Perez Field at 11 a.m. and returns at 2:30 p.m. each day.
Fort Polk’s Arts and Crafts Center hosts the following children’s classes in December:
• Christmas ornament painting, Wednesday, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Cost is $15 and includes all supplies. Registration ends today.
• Ornament making, ages 6 and up, Dec. 17, 10 a.m.-noon. Cost is $12 plus supplies (estimated cost of supplies $10-$20). Register and pick up supplies list by Tuesday.
Call 531-1980 for more information.
The Fort Polk Intramural Sports Office begins its basketball season Jan. 9. Games are played at the 1st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade Gym. The championship will be held at the end of February. Teams must have 10 players and one coach. The coach is responsible for completing the team and unit alpha rosters, securing two points of contact and compiling a list of all military commitments. This information must be submitted by Jan. 4 to the Soldiers Athletic Complex. Basketball is open to authorized Directorate of Family Morale, Welfare and Recreation users. For more information call 531-2056.
Cantrell Fitness Center closes for renovations Jan. 1 for about one year. Renovations include interior and exterior upgrades. During the closure, your fitness needs may be met at Wheelock Fitness Center, 1st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade Gym, 162nd Infantry Brigade Gym and the Operations Group Gym.
Sunday Brunch at the Warrior Community Center is halted during the holidays. Brunch resumes Jan. 8 at 10 a.m.
The South Fort 50 meter pool hosts two American Red Cross lifeguard certification classes: Dec. 17-23 and Dec. 27-31. To participate, candidates must pass the pretest, held at the pool Tuesday through Dec. 16. Cost is $105 and includes all supplies. The class is open to authorized Directorate of Family Morale, Welfare and Recreation users 15 and older. For details call 531-1988.
The Fort Polk Commissary operates under the following holiday hours: Dec. 18, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Dec. 19-23, 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m.; Dec. 24, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; Dec. 25-26, closed; Dec. 27, 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m.; Dec. 28-30, 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m.; Dec. 31, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.; Jan. 1-2, closed; Jan. 3, 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
Child, Youth and School Services offers special openings Dec. 17 from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Special openings are for children ages 6 weeks to 12 years old. To reserve a space, reservations must be made by noon Dec. 16. Cost is $35 per day per child and must be paid in full at the time of reservation. Parents must bring hourly care packets for all children on the day of care. Children must be registered with CYSS to attend. Call 531-1955 for more information and 531-7045 to make reservations.
To help alleviate holiday stress, Wheelock Fitness Center offers a de-stressor program involving five goals. Goals may include trying a new fitness class or different equipment. To participate, visit Wheelock to pick up a de-stressor form. After completing your goals, return the form to receive a prize.
For more information call 531-6795.
Child, Youth and School Services’ Middle School and Teen program hosts a lock-in Dec. 16-17 from 6 p.m.-7 a.m. at the Siegfried Youth Center. Youth will enjoy dinner and breakfast, skating, movies and bowling.
The lock-in is open to youth in grades six through 12 that are registered with CYSS. The cost is $15. Participants must wear appropriate clothing and footwear to participate in competitive activities. Lounge or sleepwear will not be allowed in the bowling center. For more information call 531-1992.
Enjoy free food, fun and photos with Santa at the Youth Services Gym, bldg 2070, Sunday from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Free holiday trees in many shapes and sizes will also be available while they last, compliments of the FedEx Trees for Troops program. Children can enjoy decorating sugar cookies, games, free food and visits with Santa. For more information call 531-1787.
Shira Dental Clinic offers mouth guards for active-duty dependents, ages 12-18, Dec. 19-21 from 8-10 a.m. and 1-2 p.m. No more than 10 will be given out each day on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information call 531-2327.
Allen Memorial Library hosts the following activities:
• “Letters to Soldiers” program: Through Dec. 17. The library invites you to stop by and write letters to deployed Soldiers. Stationery is provided. Look for the “Letters to Soldiers” writing station and mailbox near the entrance of the library.
• Youth Book Club: Dec. 27, 11:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. The discussion group will review “Holes” by Louis Sachar.
For more information call 531-2665.
An Islamic prayer service is held Fridays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Airborne Chapel, bldg 1516, Louisiana Avenue. All Soldiers, Family members and civilians are invited.
For more information call 653-3626 or (337) 378-8514.
The Fort Polk Main Post Chapel hosts the following activities:
• Catholic Women of the Chapel holds a spiritual study Wednesdays at the Main Post Chapel. Attend any part of the study: Rosary, 9 a.m.; mass, 9:30 a.m.; fellowship, 10 a.m.; and spiritual study, 10:30 a.m. Free on-site child care is available. For details call (337) 202-1391.
• The Main Post Chapel youth group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Soldiers’ Chapel.
Fort Polk’s Thrift Shop, located in bldg 2531 on Alabama Avenue (last building on the right), is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., the first Saturday of the month from 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and the third Wednesday of the month from 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Donations can be dropped off any time. Consignments are accepted any day but Tuesdays.
For more information call 537-0459.